CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

24 Hours Later

So now that I've been over here for about 24 hours what do I think? A few thoughts based on initial impressions.

I wouldn't say I'm experiencing culture shock, it's too Westernized over here. There is however a culture-clash that exists. A modern Westernized society is blended in some kind of harmonious balance with appears at times to be third-world. That being said, the people here are amazing. I was enjoying a walk yesterday and a police officer stopped and asked if I needed help or was looking for anything in particular. Than he began offering suggestions on places to go. You'd NEVER find that in the States.

Driving here is ... pretty much exactly as I'd been warned. The lanes are more suggestions than hard and fast rules, it's pretty much like nascar out there. And they take their security very serious. Every store I've been in, I've been greeted by a police officer who's run a wand over me looking for WMDs. And every time we drive into the parking garage at the work they pop the trunk to look inside and check under the car with a mirror for explosive devices.

Manila is a beautiful city


But there are places and times when that beauty gives way


to reminders of the culture-clash that surrounds you.

6 comments:

Court said...

Wish I could be there with you to take it all in...the blogs are nice to see what it is you are seeing. I can't beleive the kid on the motorcycle...they need a lesson in Britax! Our Babies and I miss you a ton.

Anonymous said...

One thing I remember about driving there is the bumper rule. If your bumper is ahead of the bumper of the guy beside you, you have right-of-way. If he is ahead of you, then he has right of way. Isn't that fun?

Shannon said...

great blog!

Larissa said...

That's all crazy! 2 weeks- that's a long time to be away from Courtney plus 2!! I hope you are all doing good!! (And enjoying the new place you get to explore!!)
Thanks for the pictures!

CoachZ said...

Dude if you are driving that's amazing...I wouldn't drive there and I'm Filipino.

Hire a driver their cheap!

Aaron said...

I realized 3 minutes outside the airport (from the back seat of a taxi) that me not driving here is a good thing for everybody.

I haven't been behind the wheel since I landed.