CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

15 Hours of Darkness

To begin let me say that if you have to travel 15 hours on a plane, your best route is to fly Business or First class. I realize this may not always be a possibility but that does not preclude it from being the optimal option. I can’t say with 100% certainty what it was like flying in Economy class, but having flown Economy on multiple occasions I can make a few educated guesses.

To begin I walked onto the plane and when the flight attendant saw my seat assignment she pointed me to the stairs and said my seat was upstairs. Nice, I find that it’s an important component of the caste system to make sure there is complete separation between those of different classes. I had only just sat down when an attendant brought me a tray of assorted juices with melon spears to select from while the rest of the plane loaded. (See picture) I was further enthralled to find that the seat next to me would remain unoccupied for the duration of the flight. Mmmm … space.

Shortly after reaching our cruising altitude of what I can only assume is the outer edge of our atmosphere (My personal entertainment system registered the outside temperature as -50F) they began serving the first of a 4 course meal. Apparently airplane food isn’t that bad when it is accompanied by a warm moist personal hygiene cloth and food you don’t have to unwrap.

(This was the appetizer)

Shortly after the meal completed I had the option of several movies to watch (I chose I Am Legend … decent enough) followed by about 6 hours of interrupted and fitful sleep in an oversized lounge chair that is more chair than lounge.

One thing that I hadn’t anticipated was the total and complete darkness of the trip. Traveling West we are flying toward the setting sun and when we land it will be around 6am local time. I know the plane is traveling several hundred miles an hour; however we are chasing a sunrise that is traveling at a comparative rate. So it’s like moving in super-slow motion traveling 570 miles an hour (our true airspeed according to my personal entertainment system). A very weird experience to be sure.

Additional benefits of Business class:

1. First on and First off

2. First through customs

I'm now at the hotel and trying to figure out this whole sleep during the day, work at night, schedule thing. More to come later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice trip. I don't expect to ever know first hand what you're talking about, so thanks for the pictures. Sleep well!

Mom and Dad's Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom and Dad's Blog said...

The whole "sleep during the day, work at night, schedule thing": Dad says "Let me tell you about that..."

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

Sorry - I don't know how I got 2 on there, and I'd really like to take one off - I just don't know how to do it. Anyway, dad says:
1) Sleeping pills
2) Ear plugs
3) No caffeine within a couple of hours - up to 4 hours - before shut-eye.
4) And here's one we didn't have to worry about: turn off the cell phone! (Sorry Courtney!) Good luck!
Currently, we use M*A*S*H. It's a regular lullaby to me! ;) Pathetic, I know.

Anonymous said...

Two essentials:

1. Melatonin...taken half an hour before sleep you will be out better than a baby.

2. Imodium...and stay away from all the fruit at the hotel breakfast buffet. It will give you the runs faster than the Phoenix Suns (who are now out of the playoffs btw).

Larissa said...

Sounds like fun.... What exactly are you there for??
Glad you were upstairs, you snob you! :)

Aaron said...

Sorry Larissa ... for those who didn't know, my work is sending me to the Philippines for 2 weeks so I can get some face time with our call centers over there ... er ... here.