CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 25, 2008

Gato and Maggalicious

Meet Maggie our newest addition:) She is a two year old Boxer. From what we can tell and from what the Humane Society told us she is not a mix but a full breed. Not that that maters a whole lot...she is a cutie. I am thinking she is older than two because she is very calm and loves to nap. She has an appointment with the vet this Tuesday so hopefully we will get a better idea. She is house trained. Walks on a leash, even when I am pushing the stroller. I have ran with her a few times, nothing serious yet but soon I hope she will be a good running companion for me. We want her to get to know the trails too so she can endure some hikes with us. She isn't too good at sitting and other basic commands when we are out but listens pretty well when we are at home. She does not dig. She has been alone a few times and just chills in the backyard laying in the sun. She has her bed in the house and sleeps on that for the most part...except the last two mornings we have found her on the love seat. Weird because in front of us she doesn't even try and get on the couch but at night she makes herself comfy. I think she might be afraid of our attack kitty who thinks this whole house is his domain and he is nice for allowing even Aaron and I and the kids to live here. Tigger has calmed a bit with the hissing and back arching...he more like growls at her. He gets really going when Maggie is around Taylor, I think he is protecting her. Aaron and I were laughing a bit...our dog acts more like a cat and our cat acts more like a dog. Funny story though with Tigger and Maggie...Maggie was sleeping and Tigger walked all the way around the living room as to not disturb her and then snuk up behind her and smelled her. It was cute to see.

So how is Maggie with the kids? Great. She allows them to love on her and has even taken a few bangs on the head from Tommy and his plastic hammer. We take her with us to walk to and from Taylor's school and she is great with all the kids. She barks very rarely...like when Aaron has come home late (after softball and bible study) and is coming in front door. This is what we wanted. Not an attack dog but one that would bark and alert us. She is exactly what we wanted in a dog, especially me. Huge that she is house trained:) She currently has a bit of a stomach thing but I think it is 1)Tigger's cat food she got into her first night here or 2) just the stress from moving. Either way I am anxious to take her to the vet to get her clean bill of health and to find out her true age. And hopefully one day soon she will become a little more playful, she has short bursts and then she needs another nap. Like an old lady or puppy...to be determined!!!

Aaron and I came upon Tigger sleeping last night in TJ's crib, I think he is reverting back to infancy like a toddler would with a new baby in the house. So many stories to come on our new addition and how we all adjust...


8 comments:

Court said...

**Clarification**
"Gato" is Spanish for cat and our "pet" name for Tigger. "Maggalicious" is our "pet" name for Maggie. (Aaron)

Shannon said...

So cute! I love boxers, my dad always had a boxer! Great dogs and loyal to females :-)

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new addition! She’s adorable.

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

Well, not being an animal lover generally, and a dog lover specifically, I'm tolerating the whole thing! ;) Nah, it's cute seeing the different phases a new pet inspires in a household. Glad both of you (in CA & MT) have "guard" dogs since both the guys are away from home on occasion. Gread pics!

Larissa said...

Awwww... cute.
Congrats on the newest family member! :)

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

How can I fix a typo on a comment I've already posted? That drives me crazy!

Aaron said...

Mom ... anytime you post a comment there is a trash can icon at the end/bottom of your comment. If you click that trash can you can delete any comment you've posted.