I have so many grand memories of holidays and being a child. I grew up in a huge family, having only one brother my immediate family was small however I have a huge extended family. My Mom is one of seven children...so I have somewhere between 15-20 cousins. Those 15-20 cousins have had children and now even some of those children have had children....there are a lot of us. So I grew up with a huge family. With love and a lot of fun. I don't have many "traditions" when it comes to holidays other than just being with my family. This is something I want to give to my two children and even Aaron.
Yesterday was Easter. This holiday especially is a huge one for my family. My Mom's twin died on Easter Sunday when I was three, so this is a holiday we for sure spend with the family. It is huge. There are Easter Egg Hunts...with plastic eggs filled with candy, Goldfish and Teddy Grahams, hard boiled eggs died to Easter like colors, and the famous money eggs:) Two egg hunts, one for the little ones and one for the older kids...older kids get the money eggs:) And food, such good food. Not even extra special food, food just like potato salad and those little hot dogs in sauce from Costco, Nana's beans and Lana's spinach dip...but on Easter it all taste so rich and yummy.
We have always made the trip to B-Town for this holiday. Except last year when I was completely out of it because I had just had the Baby. This year we really contemplated going since that flu is still having it's way with Aaron and I. We waited until Sunday morning to make the decision and then decided to just make the drive for the day, so nice that we live close enough to do that now. I am glad we went. The kids had so much fun. My aunt and uncle have a HUGE yard and we just sat outside and talked and watched the kids play. We ate and we hunted for eggs. We were able to catch up with family and see how much all the kids have grown. Taylor got to play one of her favorite cousins, Dillon, they just love each other. He never calls her Taylor but TayTay, always, I think this is SO cute.
As Christians, Easter is a huge holiday. One in which most are in church on Sunday morning, even if for no other time during the year, they go on Easter. This has always been something we have had to choose, church or traveling for Easter. It has never been a thought, for me at least that we are just with family on this day. This year, Aaron and I talked about it and what it may mean that we are not in church on such a big day. I thought about it all day yesterday and is still on my mind. I have always felt, and still do, that as long as we teach and know for ourselves the meaning of Easter we are okay to not be in church. Especially since we are there most other Sundays. But I did wonder a bit if in the midst of all the Easter stuff like eggs and what not is Jesus's resurrection shadowed.
I don't think it is at all. I thought of this yesterday as I was in the midst of comfort and love...As I hugged my Nana and longed for my Papa to see us all now. As I hugged my aunts and uncles and showed off my children. As I walk up on a conversation Aaron is having with one of my cousins when they are discussing Jesus. I thought of this as one of my Uncle's offers to get me this soccer couch I was admiring, wanting to make sure I had one for our soccer games. As I watch my parents hold and play with my children on this special day...I think of growing up on this special day and how precious those memories are to me. And am overwhelmed with gratitude that my children are making those same memories and I am adding to mine. I learned that under all the Easter stuff, there is such love and family. More community than perhaps I would find on an Easter Sunday service when we all show up in starchy uncomfortable "Easter outfits" and it is all overly crowded with people who are there only to say they went to Church on Easter.
I love my traditions. I love that my traditions involve family. I am thankful to be closer to them. I am thankful for this thought process I went through of seeing if my Easter tradition overshadows Jesus. I am glad to know they don't. I am not above Jesus breaking traditions and starting new ones for me and my family. I am glad to know this is one He allows me to keep. The memories made are precious.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Traditions
Posted by Court at Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Sounds like a relaxing day. Wish we could be closer; but thanks for helping those of us so far away stay connected with your open-hearted sharing.
Actually, I had to stomp on a few jealous feelings. :( Most of the time I'm pretty okay with my kids being scattered all over the western U.S. and living their very busy and personal lives. But sometimes on holidays, it gets hard. But I'm so happy for you that you were able to get together. But don't let those jealous feelings keep you from sharing! I LOVE that!!
It's so nice to have traditions! I agree.
Very nice you got to spend your Easter surrounded with family.
Post a Comment