CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Precious


There are times as a parent that are precious, well just being a Mommy is precious, but there are those time that just stand out.

Mornings at our house are a bit hectic. Taylor has a hard time getting out of bed to stay on task so she can get to school on time. No matter how hard Aaron and I try. I know this is something I should model better myself. We both tend to get distracted easily.

Anyhow, the mornings are times that my "Mom Voice" gets used. I really dislike using the Mom Voice. You know what I am talking about because either you have a Mom or you are a Mom. It is this, I mean business, you are pushing all my buttons, do what you are supposed to do NOW...voice. This morning I had to use the "Mom Voice" and mixed with my morning voice it is not so pretty.

I just decide to explain to Taylor how when I have to talk like that to get her to listen it is not fun. Just like when she has to get upset at someone it puts an icky feeling in her tummy it is the same for Mommy. That I would really prefer to not have to get upset and would really like her to listen to us the first time. And how if she is not being heard she needs to use her voice and not whine. Everything gets done, we get her caught up, and we have smoothed things over.

Well, as she is kissing me good-bye (Aaron and her were riding bikes this morning). She looks me right in the eyes and says, "Sorry Mommy." I ask her for what. She tells me she is sorry for the way she was acting and for not listening. My heart melted. I felt full of love and grace. I thanked her for saying sorry and gave her a big hug. I could truly tell she was remorseful. It was not a sorry that was said only to not have a consequence for an action, it was sincere.

We have always tried to apologize to Taylor when we were in the wrong. I firmly believe that respect is given where it is received. I have a hard time respecting anyone, even with authority, when they do not show me the same respect. Same with parenting. There have been a number of times where I have had to apologize to Taylor, because I was out of line. Most of the time she would say okay Mommy I forgive you and that would be that. Today I feel like forgiveness was an action not just a word.

A precious Mommy moment. And a glimmer of hope that we are teaching her right. And raising her to think and act on her own...and today she got it spot on. She is such a beautiful little girl both on the inside and out.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

great blog friend!

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

I concur with Shannon. Is there a way you can save some of these for future posterity? I think some of these mommy/Taylor posts would be awesome to look back on in 20 years! Just a thought :)

Larissa said...

I love it when they seem to actually get what you are trying to teach!
Good job!
She is growing up so much, I can hardly believe it!