CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 4, 2008

Here I raise my Ebenezer

(any idea how hard it is to find a picture of an Ebenezer?)


When worshiping in song, I've always thought it's important to physically engage in whatever it is I'm singing (if the song says I raise my hands I raise my hands. If the song says I fall to my knees I fall to my knees, etc)

Sunday during worship we sang one of my favorite hymns "Come Thou Fount". I'm singing along when we come to the second verse and it says, "Here I raise my Ebenezer ..." and I have to give pause because, well, I don't think I have an Ebenezer. And if I do I'm not sure who give it to me or where I put it. And most importantly, should I see a specialist about it. Naturally, I had to figure out what an Ebenezer is and having done so I thought I'd share it with you all:

(I guess it takes a Scotsman)
Ebenezer is the name of a stone raised by Samuel to commemorate a victory over the Philistines at Mizpeh (I Sam.7.12), from Heb. ebhen ezar "stone of help,"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's how you threw out your back

Larissa said...

Interesting... I've often times wondered that. So thanks for the (kind of, but not really) useless trivia! Always count on you for that, right?? :)

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

Did you throw out your back?? You know, Josh called to ask about that very same song a few weeks ago. He was looking for a title, and the phrase he gave me was "Here I raise my Ebenezer". You must be related. ;) And thank you, too, for the explanation. It helps to know what we're singing about. Remember how Gabe would stop the singing on Sunday nights in the middle of a song, wave his hands above his head, and say "Wait a minute! Do you know what you're singing about???" I used to love that. Engaging the congregation.

Mom and Dad's Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pastor Josh said...

I am so disappointed that you didn't find a picture of Albert Finney or George C. Scott as Ebenezer Scrooge. (Zing - you are disgraced.) You ought to have your wife snap a picture of you holding up a copy of the movie. Or a poster. Or better yet, one of those life-size cutouts.

Aaron said...

Larissa - I'm ALWAYS good for little known and (often useless) facts =O)

Mom - Yeah I tweaked my back on Saturday picking TJ up off the bed.

Josh - Be not deceived, pictures of Albert or George C were in abundance, however, I thought those references were too obvious and trite. I wanted to do something a little more obscure. (besides, how often do you get to reference Say Anything in a blog AND a burly Scotsman shouldering a 150 lb boulder on his shoulder.

Linda Z said...

Thanks for the lesson, Aaron. I love that hymn too, and it's good to have the history behind it!! :) I love that kind of stuff!!

Aaron said...

No problem Linda. Glad to be of assistance.

CoachZ said...

Ummm we are still waiting for courtney's ABCs...