So, we went and visited a new church this (what is now yesterday as it is now almost 1 in the morning). Without a doubt this has been the most daunting task of relocating. Even up to Saturday night I was talking about trying to find that "Gateway experience" and since I have been properly chastised by God for that attitude. The rality is that Gateway exists when are where it does because that is what and where it is needed by God. Perhaps one of the most selfish things we as Christians can do is expect a new church to be the same, or even similar to, our old church. I came to the realization today that 1. Gateway is not perfect (sorry anyone who reads this and goes there =O) 2. No church is going to be exactly everything I am looking for. What I need to do is allow God to show me how to fall in love with a body of believers, warts and all.
We went and visited a church near our home, and it was a very good experience. It had pretty much everything we were lookin for in a place to call "home". Well sized, awesome worship, ethnically diverse, community minded, we were more welcomed at this church than any other churchs we visited combined, the sermon was good and almost at once, it felt like comfortable and homey. Both Courtney and I hope that this church ends up becoming our home church. We'll visit a few more times and get a larger picture of what this church is all about, whether they are a good fit for us, and whether we are a good fit for them.
It is hard going from where I was at Gateway, to where I am going to be starting at a new church. More than the new job, more than the house, more than the city, it is here, at the house of fellowship, were the stark reality of "starting over" has its most weighty impact. As Gateway grew, so I grew with it, like 2 childhood friends who have known each other since infancy. But this is much different. This is trying to mesh with a cog in full swing, this, well, this is completely different. I've not known this new friend since infancy. We haven't shared growing pains together. It's leadership has no knowledge of my heart, my gifts, nor has it any reason, yet, to trust me. This is a new relationship all together. Exciting, nervous, anxious, all the emotions that come with a new friendship.
Yes, this has been quite the eye opening weekend for me. I lay aside my desire to find Gateway of the Central Coast and I submit myself to finding what God has working here, and seeing how I can fit into the work already begun.
Monday, September 3, 2007
A thought about Church
Posted by Aaron at Monday, September 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
hey guys.
our biggest struggle with our long distance moves was always trying to find a church that was 'just like ___ church.'
we made a conscious effort to not do that this last time around, and plan on finding a church unique to where we live and the circumstances of that community.
we have been blessed beyond words with our church here, which we have been part of since before it even started meeting at our pastor's house. 1 1/2 years later we have a couple hundred people every week and meet at a school-- it is awesome. we're youth leaders, on the worship team, and just so blessed by being in a church that can use us.
we're happy you guys have found what could be an awesome church, and realized that before writing churches off for not fitting a strict to-do list of what it needed to have!
keep us posted! :)
Post a Comment