CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Her First

"Identity is our understanding of who we are-who we were created to be-as unique individuals. When a child is given the freedom to choose and to be, that child learns the Life-Lesson of identity as a separate and capable individual."-MOPS devotional

Last night was Taylor's first slumber party. She was fine. I however wasn't...or it took a lot of effort for me to be okay. She has had friends stay the night at our house but has never slept over at their house. It was with her best friends, that she has been friends with since the start of Kindergarten. I know the parents well and completely trust them. It was a hard decision to say yes to her staying but she was SO excited for her first slumber party. This is her school picture this year, doesn't she look so grown up? And beautiful!!! We have a disc to make pictures from, put in your orders for the size(s) you want my out of town family:)

" We are often hindered from giving up our treasures to the Lord out of fear for their safety...But we need to have no such fears. Our Lord does not come to destroy but to save. Everything is safe which we commit to Him, and nothing is really safe which is not committed."-A.W. Tozer

But will they make sure the front door is locked? Will she be checked on through the night? Will she go to sleep feeling safe and warm? If she wakes up at night will she be able to go back to sleep? What if she wakes up too early and no one else is awake? So many questions of just wanting to know if she is alright...and I completely know she is. It is hard to let her grow up.

"As moms, we sometimes bump into a wall of worries, an obstacle only completely counteracted through faith. If we see mothering as a partnership with an all-powerful God who is ultimately responsible for our child and utterly able to care for our child, then we have hope." - Anonymous
I took her last night and stayed for about an hour at the party. They did crafts, ordered pizza, opened presents, and ran around squealing with excitement...the look on the pizza man's face was quite shocked when he was greeted at the door by a door full of screaming six year old girls by the way. Good birth control!

"A mother who walks with God knows He only asks her to take care of the possible and to trust Him with the impossible, she does not need to fret."-Ruth Bell Graham

One of her little friends looked at me and said, "This is my first night party!" with such excitement in her voice. I thought about this. These girls will hopefully be friends throughout school and will attend many parties together. I guess if we as parents, start early setting our expectations but also allow them to seek out their own independence they will learn to make smart decisions. And thank God for cell phones, literally, Thank You Jesus!

"To let go is to fear less and love more."-Anonymous

Taylor has had her cell phone since she started school last year. She hardly uses it. In fact yesterday, I told her I was going to keep it home to charge while she was at school. She was like that is fine Mom, there is never any emergencies for me to use it anyhow. To which my response was, yes and that is a good thing! Last night, it came in handy to have. I could call and see how she was doing. I had to refrain from calling to much...don't want to be that Mom. Both times I called I got her voicemail...funny to hear her on there. Anyhow she called me back right away. I love this, she shows me she is being responsible.

"The purpose of discipline and limits is to lead to self-discipline. It brings the external boundaries inside the child, internalizing a standard for choice-making. Independence helps a child learn that the person in charge of me is ME!" - Anonymous

Then as I was leaving, the Mom said she will be fine and I agreed with her, my only question was, "Will I?". It is hard to let go. I was fine. Aaron, Tommy and I did a little late night shopping. I love when the stores are open so late and there are great deals to be had! However, we were looking for Tommy and got nothing. Fun all the same to be out with my boys. Just wondering what to get for him. The one thing we liked which was on special at Toys'R'Us was out of stock...and their holiday help was no help at all. And why have something on special if you don't even have it in stock? When I asked for the number to another store, he told me they don't have it and they don't check. Really? Don't work in customer service if you don't like people and are not willing to help! What was I saying????

"If you want your children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders."-Abigail Van Buren

Oh yeah, Taylor. So is it too early to call? Did she sleep okay? I am SO anxious to hear all about her night. Of course I know she is fine, in fact the Mom texted me that she was asleep with her daughter and that they had a fun night. Texting, how convenient. Thank you Jesus for cell phones that text! They have a yummy breakfast planned, we will go get her before too long. I need to see her before I have to work this afternoon.

"Every child needs independence. In order to grow and become healthy, fully functioning adults, children need to learn to operate within a scope of freedom where choices are independently made and consequences experienced." - Anonymous

Letting her grow up is hard but my prayer is that Aaron and I will instill in her the confidence to be independent. To be independently responsible. I hope that as we allow her to make more decisions on her own she will make the right ones. I hope this gives her confidence and inner strength. We want her to know she can ALWAYS come to us, even when the choices she may make are not the right ones. Lord, give me grace in those times. More than anything I want her to know Her God is always with her. I think she knows this. I also wouldn't mind her being a little on edge that God sees and knows every thing...and Mom of course has eyes on the back of her head and great intuition!!!:)

"A mother's lap is meant to be a launching pad for life." - Anonymous

Update...it is now 9 am and Taylor just called to say, "Good Morning." She is having such a great time:) I will go pick her up soon:) I'm not ready just yet to send her away to college or anything like that but ready to just take this growing up thing one day at a time. Have great weekends:)

6 comments:

Court said...

Linda...I figured out how to use color text:) Yeah, maybe now I can get a bit more creative!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog post, Courtney; thank you so much for sharing. The quotes were especially meaningful and encouraging to me, too. What a brave Mama you are; Taylor can't help but blossom under your care.
Taylor is such a beautiful young lady! Put us on the list for as many wallets as you can spare! :)

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

Well said, Jollyholly. I don't think I can add to that - except that I'll take a 5x7 and a couple of wallets. And thank you so much. One more thing - remember,Court, kids learn a lot by watching their parents. You are both very - maybe I should say VERY - independent people. And we've certainly seen that streak in Taylor as well. She has great parents and will do fine! I'm so proud of you for letting her go!

Shannon said...

WOW...I totally get it!! Your such an amazing mom! I hope to be just like you someday!

Anonymous said...

I didn't tell Pepere that his Chick was spending the night away from home until the next morning. I think he went a little pale..."but, but, but she's too little" when I actually think he meant "nobody asked me or told me so I could worry" he is the worrier of the family. :-)

I have such trust and faith in the decisions you and Aaron make for your precious children. With all that we hear in the news about children being abused or moms on trial for mistreating their children I truly get down on my knees and thank GOD for you two.

Linda Z said...

You did good with the text, Courtney! Fun, huh?

I'm going to need some girl advice if/when we adopt a girl of our own! :)