CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Parental Report Card

Why is it that your child's report card for school feels like your report card as a parent? I can now empathize a bit more with my parents on why they wanted us to excel at school. Of course you want your child to do well, and be well educated and take advantage of their opportunities. But there is also an element that feels like however well they succeed is a direct reflection on how well you parent them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do remember the day when one fifth grade teacher sat down my wife and I and told us a litany of things that were wrong with our ADHD child. At the end, Kathy looked her in the eye and said "say one positive thing about our son". The teacher looked at us and said "I can't think of one thing".

He was out of that class that day. Sometimes teachers get failing grades too.

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

And now you have an idea of what it felt like when you were through with speech therapy and I got a call from the psychologist! :)

Mom and Dad's Blog said...

I should finish that comment:

It was a great day! ;)

Anonymous said...

I can relate, except for me it's when they take tests...I feel like it's really a test of how well I taught.
This proud aunt gives momma and daddy an A++! Just look at those HAPPY faces posted all over this blog. You're doing great!

Court said...

Luckily our kids are exceptional! I am amazed at how much Taylor is learning. This week she read us a chapter book on Tom the Pig who needed to get fit. Not only is she excelling in her academics but I see her taking huge social steps too.
I am thankful for her teacher this year...not sure what we would do if we had a bad teacher...Mike, good for Kathy speaking up!
I have to agree with Aaron when it comes time for our parent/teacher conference it is a bit nerve wrecking!

Aaron said...

And last night Taylor read me most of "The Giving Tree".

Anonymous said...

The night Taylor read to Aaron, Courtney and myself the Tom the Pig Get Fit Book (3 books in one), we were behaving as very bad children, raising our hands asking silly questions like, "Does Tom the pig eat pork?"...... Aaron, Court and I laughed, but Taylor in her teacher mode did not see the humor in our questions.

I was amazed at how well she read all three books. Brilliant, she's absolutely brilliant :-)
Nanny